Sunday 14 July 2013

Se7en Years Ago

Over these years, there are happy times, bad times, ups and down, but overall, I am still staying on my own path.

Back then, I was really crazy about taking photographs, I shoot almost anything whenever I felt like capturing the scenes, or the moments. I bet whoever who loves photography felt the same way too.

Back then I've also ever submitted some of my favorite photographs for competitions and to the magazines. Did I win anything? Nope and yes. I always remember the photo that won me first place in "theme of the month" on a local magazine, and that feeling when you flipped over the magazine at the newsstand and you realized that's your own picture printed right in front of your own eyes, it's simply unforgettable.

Back then, I also take photographs at a very easy going mind, and I don't really care about the what the others said. At that time, 2006, it's the early beginning of digital photography and not many carrying a so called "DSLR" in their hands. Unlike nowadays, DSLR is not really a "professional" equipment owned by "photographers". Basically every single person is a "photographer", and everybody seems just love to take photos here and there. Due to the popularization of a Digital Single-Lens Reflex, the phenomenon has affected the market quite badly and only few well established bridal companies and photographers remain stable up to this day.

Well, my dream is to open up my very own studio someday and serve whoever appreciate my work and what I am doing. Somehow I still haven't got to achieve it due to financial reasons and I can't afford to buy the needed equipments and also a shoplot to build up a studio. I always thought if I could take great pictures, I could get jobs from time to time. However, things are not as easy as I imagined.

Due to the "bad market" of photography, people around who needs photography service seems to take this for granted. Customers no longer hire a professional to do the job, they could simply look for those with a DSLR who are willing to take the job at a ridiculously low price, especially Wedding Day Photography. I heard of the pricing could go way lower than RM 500 for a full day coverage and all photos will be given in return. Due to this, I keep getting compared to others whenever comes to the pricing. Actually what I am offering is not that high, I charge based on the work scope, my personal experience and quality. I had few people sending mails or rang me up for quotation, in the end most of them prefer to go for a lower pricing without really care about what result they could get in the end. Thankfully I myself is not the kind who is crazy after money and I still hold my position by not competing with low price and I let the right people come to me. For the past customers who hired me before, I would really like to thank you for the trust and the support.

Whenever I am not doing freelance, I would conduct my personal assignment where mostly are on portraits. Nowadays, taking photographs "naturally" are not really what the audiences are looking for. People nowadays are far more attracted to digital manipulated images, especially HDR portraiture, where a portrait could become so 3D without you having to put the glasses on to feel it. The skin tone and texture would become over smooth and plasticky like, and the background could be filled with funny things that are not even exist. But unfortunately, most of them are alright to accept it, even the "models" themselves. Somehow I guess people are afraid to look at their trueselves and not willing to accept the truth. Those "photoshop-graphers" who are "pioneering" this digital maipulation skill are kind of like Gods among photographers, and people are worshipping and admiring them endlessly. Portrait subjects a.k.a "models" would also choose over them compared to the photographers who take photos nicely and naturally.

In the end of the day, it's nothing wrong to do digital manipulation also, as these kinds of thing are very subjective, especially in this digital era, and it is up to individual and the current trend. For people like me, I prefer to see things naturally and true to its nature. Maybe I have a photojournalist in my heart where I would like people to see the truth instead of a fake or make up stories. There's even a time when a friend of mind tease me to get a job at a local newspaper, haha. There are also times where I felt so depressed and down and I don't feel like participating in this game anymore, but gratefully I am still able to get myself back into shape and stay strong till today.

Anyway, I think that's all I feel like saying on this memorable day, where it all started. I know I can take great photographs, and I shall prove myself a true successful photographer someday. What say you?

Demitri Boon
14/7/2013 2133HRS


No comments:

Post a Comment